Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Embracing my inner Hermione

So the other day I suggested that my sis bring her copy of "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" to class, and she said she didn't want to be Hermione in this class. "Too late", I said. We bought kick-ass easels (mostly because it's easier to transport everything we need using them, but also because they're nifty); we have all the tools we need and then some (people forgot stuff this past class, and we had extra stuff to share); and we've taken sketching classes, which most of the other students have not. Not that we're trying to show anyone else up -- we're not.

I really don't mind being Hermione here. I've embraced my inner eager perfectionist. And, hey, why not?

Anyway, here's the result of last night's class. Used big brush strokes because I figured we didn't have time to get a lot of the details down. Next class, apparently, we're doing details. Well, should be interesting! I was hoping the teacher would give us more info on what brushes to use for what techniques, and demonstrate a bit more than she did. So I hope that's yet to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

What a beautiful painting. I wish I could paint.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Corbie said...

Thanks, Terri!

It's not as hard as you think -- but the key to any real art is learning how to draw. You can glop as much paint on the canvas as you want, but if the basic shapes underneath aren't right, it doesn't look right. Fortunately, drawing isn't as hard as people think -- a basic drawing class does wonders.

Or, get a copy of "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" from the library... couldn't hurt!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home