Thursday, July 17, 2008

Beet / Chard Salad

A few weeks ago I had dinner at a restaurant that featured a lot of locally grown foods, vegetables, and other neat stuff. One of the surprising dishes they served was a beet and watercress salad. I don't normally like beets much, aside from pickled with eggs, but this was pretty good.

I didn't use precise measurements, but my version of the salad has:
  • 3 beets, cooked (boiled about 45 min, then peeled -- the skins just rub off)
  • about a handful of watercress, chopped parsley and/or cilantro, depending on what I have on hand
  • about 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts or pine nuts
  • Feta cheese or blue cheese -- a couple of slices, crumbled
  • Large dash of vinegar, to taste
  • A couple of slices of beef (optional -- the original didn't have this, but if I want to make a dinner out of it and have some leftover beef on hand, I'll put it in)

I've also made this with sauteed chard, and it's pretty good, but a bit more beet-greeny. Pics of that soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home