Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Pumpkin Tree

I have some Long Island Cheese Pumpkin seeds that I saved a few years ago. I don't really have a good spot to plant them, but this year decided to put them in the bed with the quince tree.
As you can see, the pumpkin vine has climbed into the quince tree, so yesterday when I went around the corner of the house, I saw a pumpkin hanging from the tree -- a very amusing sight. You can also see a quince fruit on the branch the vine is weighing down. This is the first year I've had quinces.
I've since propped up the branch with a bamboo tripod; hopefully this will keep the branch from breaking under the weight of the maturing pumpkin. I'm debating whether I need to put some kind of net on the pumpkin -- I've heard of melon growers doing that when growing melons on a trellis.

This is the other largeish pumpkin growing in that bed -- in its proper place on the ground.






The pumpkin vine is also trying to swallow the porch, competing with the New Dawn rosebush for "Audrey Two" status.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home