Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Fun with Tape Loom

A few years ago I bought a treadle tape loom from David Hoffman of The Joyner's Shop. The loom is a replica of one at the Landis Valley Farm Museum. I had to tweak it a little -- namely, sand down the sides of the rigid heddles a bit -- when the wood swelled up with summer humidity, but otherwise it's a lovely loom. I didn't use it much the first year or two that I had it, but this spring I've been weaving on it a lot more. Weaving on the loom goes quickly compared to a hand-held rigid heddle loom, since it has treadles.

The tape you see in the first two pictures is woven with 8/2 cotton. I've also woven a wider strap using cotton carpet warp (blue and yellow design), and wove some narrow tape using the leftover thrums from my dishtowel warp to weave matching loops for the towels.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger goosefairy said...

I just LOVE these. They're really marvelous. There's something so satisfying about them.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Corbie said...

Thanks! Yes, they're fun -- plus they don't take that long to set up, so there's sort of an instant-gratification factor.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Handywoman said...

I've made one of these for myself...but I can not for the life of me figure out how to warp the two heddles. How did you figure it out, is there some reference material or did he include instructions? I hope you see this as I've been working all day trying to figure this out. I want so bad to use this thing I made :)
Thanks,
Janet

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home