Friday, August 05, 2005

Ranch dressing

I've been wondering what went into Ranch dressing, partly because I'm allergic to the commercial stuff and want to make my own.

So, today in Slate, there's an article on the history of Ranch Dressing.

I didn't know it was the most popular dressing, but I'm not surprised. I've had some versions that were a bit better than others -- more pepper, more garlic, etc. And I haven't tried wasabi ranch, which sounds good.

I also didn't know that recipes couldn't be patented. I thought they could -- "Chicken Cordon Bleu" is not in any of my cookbooks (I did find some recipes online, though). I think the Cordon Bleu institute has that name for the recipe copyrighted, at least -- the same way the French have a lock on the name "Champagne" for sparkling wines produced in the Champagne region of France.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

So, did you find a ranch recipe at all? I've been wondering about the stuff, too (partly because I'm in the UK, where we've hardly heard of it, and I have recipes that suggest adding 'ranch dressing' or 'ranch seasoning' to a terrifying array of dishes from roasts to stews) Yours interestedly....

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home