Monday, January 23, 2006

"Irish Moss" sweater

I started Nancy Bush's "Irish Moss" sweater from Arans & Celtics: The Best of Knitter's Magazine this weekend, since I've got itchy fingers waiting for the next installment of the Aran FLAK.

I thought about knitting one of the FLAK Arans for myself, making a V neckline and adding a shawl collar like another one of Janet Szabo's designs that a FLAK participant knitted, but I really wanted a cardigan with a shawl collar, somewhat more delicate than the traditional style Aran (which can be a bit bulky), and didn't feel like redesigning the FLAK sweater. So when I saw this picture, it fit the bill. The yarn is some of the Patons Classic Merino I bought the other day, in the "New Denim" color. I've been wanting to knit something with this color for a while -- it's one of my favorite colors, and works well for me.

So far, I'm really enjoying knitting it. Nancy Bush designed the sweater so that it could be knit without using a cable needle, which is interesting -- there's a lot of knitting stitches out of order. The patterns are pretty easy to memorize, and after a bit I found I didn't need the chart or markers anymore.

Oh, and my gramophone is here! I ordered this replica on Ebay for about $100 (not including shipping). It's going to go to WWI events with me. I would feel guilty about taking an original to events with me, and besides, a gramophone would have been new in 1914, so one that looked really old wouldn't be accurate anyway. These replicas are made in India, and pretty much duplicate the original technology, as far as I can tell. K. put the thing together, and it does work. Woo hoo!

I'm trying to figure out how to rig up a CD/MP3 player with some more period music (hidden under a table or something at events), since I don't want to lug a whole bunch of fragile records around to events. I have two records so far, and want a few more. Will have to look on Ebay for relatively timeless stuff -- need to look into what classical music composers were popular at that time.

I'm flying to Austin tomorrow to visit a friend, and looked up the baggage guidelines for Southwest Airlines. Google also pulled up a post by the Yarn Harlot about her experience with a stupid fellow passenger, and cool attendant, on Southwest. Knitting should NOT be a problem (I've spoken to plenty of knitters who've brought their projects with them with no hassle), but it seems that idiot passengers can be.

The TSA recommends bamboo circular needles, so I'll probably see what I've got in my needle drawer -- I think I have a size 10 needle (for the Pi with Sleeves) but not a size 6 (for the Irish Moss sweater), so might run by A.C. Moore and pick up another set of Clover circs. I really don't like knitting with bamboo needles, but... (shrug) It's better than being bored silly on a flight with nothing to do. I could always read, of course. But it'll be a longish flight. I'm trying not to indulge my usual habit of bringing five projects and 10 books on this trip. It's only six days; I should really just bring ONE book and... Um. Which projects? Definitely the Pi shawl. Maybe some socks. Maybe the cardigan. I'll have to pack my luggage and see how much room is left.

I'm trying not to indulge my usual habit of bringing five projects and 10 books on this trip. It's only six days; I should really just bring ONE book and... Um. Which projects? Definitely the Pi shawl. Maybe some socks. Maybe the cardigan. I'll have to pack my luggage first and see how much room is left.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

I have knitted the Iris Moss sweater -- many years ago. It is one of my favorites. I do remember I needed 1 more skein of yarn that the patter stated. I look forward to seeing your progress

6:46 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Glad I'm not alone with the overpacking. One year I'm going to force myself to take only a spindle, two circ's and some fiber for socks on vacation. Should be interesting.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Corbie said...

Wound up packing the Pi Shawl, the FLAK project (I don't want to get behind), and some yarn for baby socks. Worked on the Pi Shawl yesterday, the FLAK project today, and dunno tomorrow :) I'm glad I didn't pack more, though.

No trouble whatsoever getting the Pi Shawl project through security -- I put it on bamboo circular needles.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home