Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Neverending Stockings


Here are the 18th c. stockings I started for my friend G. last spring. I got bored with them and put them down several times to work on other projects (I was going to say, to work on more interesting projects, but that wouldn't be strictly true, since some of the other projects such as the grey hap shawl are far from interesting at the moment). But they were finally done at the end of October, and here's the first time he had a chance to wear them with his 18th c. "good suit", which I made for him out of olive linen a few years ago. (G. is a clothes horse, and the only person I sew for routinely other than myself and my hubby, because he's fun to work with -- knows what he wants, and moreover knows what's correct -- I had a few bad experiences sewing for people who knew what they wanted and wouldn't be guided to more accurate design.)

I put pretty simple clocks on the ankles -- purl stitches flanking a seed stitch column. The "seam" in back is a purl stitch flanking two seed stitch columns. I had to rip back and redo a few times, esp. since the ankles were a bit too tight at first, but they turned out pretty well, I think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Corbie said...

Thanks! He does appreciate them -- else I wouldn't make him stuff :)

3:44 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Here, here. Having seen you working on these for quite a while, I secretly drooled over the perfect tiny stitches. They are indeed exquisite.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Ozma said...

Hello! I found your stocking pattern but it was unavailable, on ravelry.com . Do you sell it somewhere else? Thank you!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home